Sunday, January 25, 2009

I'm French


My apologies to anyone that loves France this is meant as a joke-sort of(Lance Proabably shouldn't read this).

So I grew up in a family that was not particularly found of France. My dad was in the army and on our 3 tours in Germany we did a lot of sight-seeing. We traveled all over Europe and even once to Israel. We went everywhere except France. My dad refused to spend his money there. My brother and I did take a trip by ourselves to Paris once and found the people rude, the city dirty, and the billboards even more morally questionable than Germany's. My 15-year-old brother's comment, "I hope they don't call me on a mission here-there are boobs everywhere." I think we were less impressed by Paris than any other city in Europe. Recently, Scott and I have been less than impressed w/ some of France's political stances.

I've been a Gruwell for almost 13 years and have always been told that no one knew where the name came from. I joined the group "last name Gruwell" on fb and there's a guy w/ an amazing amount of genealogy (I don't think he's even LDS), who traced all the Gruwells back to a single guy name John Gruwell who was born near Paris in 1685 and came to Delaware in 1700.

To comfort me, my brother came up with the following:

" I looked it up. John Gruwell was German. He went to France to make fun of all the French people, but bored of it rather quickly. He decided to move to Delaware in 1700 because he heard that there were no French in America. Kinda like Fievel and the cat thing. And that is a fact."

1 comment:

  1. Funny :)
    My family comes mostly from Denmark and other Scandinavian countries I think.

    ReplyDelete